On Labor Day, we pay tribute to the achievements and contributions of workers by taking the day off, kicking back, and relaxing with friends and family. Labor Day also marks the unofficial end of Summer (bummer), so it's the perfect time to get one last wear out of your warm-weather favorites. Whether your idea of unwinding is throwing a backyard barbecue, hitting the beach, or curling up in the sun with a good book, we've put together three cute, laid-back looks worthy of taking it easy in. Click through to shop them now.
Next Monday, Sept. 2, professionals everywhere will take advantage of Labor Day to play hooky, travel, and, of course, eat. Although the holiday originated out of labor disputes, the first Monday in September has become synonymous with many things — not the least of which is a national celebration of food. You may know exactly what you'll be snacking on next Monday, but what tasty tidbits do you know about the holiday weekend's food heritage? Click through our quiz to find out.
— Additional reporting by Nicole Perry
This long Labor Day weekend, many of us have been taking advantage of the Summer sun, finally getting to that home renovation, or maybe just relaxing. No matter what you're doing, busy holidays may mean taking a break from your grueling workout routine. Not to worry, your leisure time can still be a Summer calorie burner. Find out how many calories your holiday plans have been whittling away. All calculations are based on a 130-pound woman unless otherwise noted.
Nothing's more seasonably appropriate than a Summer fling. But with Labor Day here, the sun is setting on this romantic time of year. Whether you're in a long-term relationship that's seen many Summers or in the midst of a budding romance, check out five ways to keep Summer lovin' hot for as long as possible.
- Skip PJs on a warm night: When night falls on one of the few scorchers we inevitably have left, make it a sexy occasion by sleeping next to your partner sans clothes.
- Take a weekend road trip: Even if you don't have time to take off work, skip town with your guy before the season of vacation ends. You can spend a night at a bed and breakfast or make a day trip to the beach.
- Go on late-night walks: The days are only getting shorter, so appreciate the long days of Summer by taking a romantic evening walk with your man. It can be around the block after work, or around town after a run to your favorite ice cream spot. A hand-in-hand stroll is the perfect way to disconnect from everyday stresses and connect with each other.
- See a movie at the drive-in: While you watch a movie from the privacy of your own car, no one will interrupt your make out session or tell you to pipe down as you make flirty jokes.
- Take an outdoor nap: Whether it's in your backyard hammock or on a blanket in a park, take advantage of the pleasant weather and Summer smells with an outdoor cuddle session.
Do you have any ideas to add?
There's no better way to celebrate the long weekend than with a few friends, passing around a plethora of irresistible, homemade dishes — everything from an ice-cold gin cocktail, shaken and served up in a mason jar, to a sweet apple cobbler. We've put together a no-fail menu that is easy to prepare, but more importantly is memorable and delicious to leave your guests wanting more.
Gin and Lavender Lemonade
If warmer weather leaves you craving something slightly sweet and fizzy this weekend, then whip up a gin and lavender lemonade. It takes five minutes to prepare, yet the flavors are intoxicating. Lavender dry soda and Meyer lemon give the drink a floral tang, the vanilla bean soda adds just a hint of confectionery sweetness, and the gin offers a refreshing kick. It's a sweet way to toast the end of Summer.
Grilled Jalapeño Poppers
Light up the grill a little early to make these chipotle jalapeño appetizers. Each halved jalapeño is stuffed with a combination of crispy bacon, whipped cream cheese, and pepper jack cheese. These peppers tend to pack a lot of heat, so top them off with a refreshing cilantro sauce to balance the spiciness.
Create a taco bar this weekend, because it's always easy to set up plus it's a guaranteed crowd favorite. This pork carnitas recipe will teach you the basics for cooking perfectly braised, shredded carnitas. Toppings are limited to your imagination, but we love the fresh, tangy flavor of salsa verde alongside sweet pickled red onions and salty cotija cheese.
Whether you're heading to a backyard bash or lounging around the house this Labor Day weekend, the unofficial end of Summer is always a popular time to gather round the grill. We've rounded up 35 great ways to make this weekend's barbecue especially kid-friendly. From easy eats to surprises and treats, click through and turn a few of our ideas into your own. Happy Labor Day!
- Southwest: Save up to 50 percent on hotels.
- Virgin America: Affordable flights from $79 each way.
- Airtran: Mexico and Carribean flight deals on sale.
- Hotels.com: Extra 12 percent off for 12 days only with the code 12FOR12. Offer ends Sept. 1.
- Travelocity: 50 percent off select hotels. Save an extra 10 percent using the promo code 10SUMMER.
- Orbitz: Save 15 percent on hotels with code 15GETAWAY. Book by Sept. 1.
- Wyndham Hotels: Stay three nights, save 30 percent. Save 25 percent in Hawaii.
- Macy's: 20 percent off with free shipping on a $99 purchase using the code DEALS.
- Kohl's: Various discounts including 15 percent off select jeans, 40 to 50 percent off select women apparel, and 50 to 60 percent off select comforters.
- Bluefly: Save up to 85 percent off.
- Target: Up to 60 percent off Summer clearance. Save up to 20 percent on select clothing. Save up to 30 percent on select Emerson fridges and microwaves.
- Gap: 40 percent off select styles. 15 percent off your purchase with code GAPNEW.
The glorious part about modern technology is that even if you're seaside, knee-deep in fruity drinks and sunscreen this Labor Day, you can still be surfing the sales. The last official weekend of Summer is a smart time to stock up on warm-weather pieces you'll pull out next year and look forward to Fall by fortifying your style arsenal.
- My-Wardrobe: Go crazy! The site's wares are all included in the 20% off sale with code LABOR20 at checkout. Expect brands like 3.1 Phillip Lim, Carven, and Acne.
- Club Monaco: It's time to take another sweep of the sale section: get an additional 50% off already reduced items through the long weekend with code FINAL50.
- C. Wonder: Do your grown-up back-to-school shopping here! Full-price purchases will be marked down 25% by using LABORDAY at checkout.
- Tory Burch: If you've been thinking about investing in Tory Burch, now's the time. The brand's graduated sale means if you spend $300, you'll get 20% off, while a haul of $500 equates to a 25% discount. And if you're really going for it, spending over $750 means 40% off.
See even more Labor Day weekend sales here
Happy Labor Day! Whether your must-have bite today is a burger, a hot dog, barbecued ribs, or otherwise, chances are you're firing up the 'cue for your festivities. In need of some inspiration? Regardless of what you're making, we've got you covered.
Go Back to Grilling and Smoking Basics
- Know your techniques: grilling
- Grilling tips from celebrity chefs
- How to light a grill
- Smoking meats on a charcoal or gas grill
- How to grill a whole fish
- How to tell when food's done on the grill
- 5 steps to pizza-grilling success
- Different ways to grill fish
- Prep tips for perfecting your kebabs
- Awesome grill pans for stovetop grilling
- What to do with leftover or used charcoal
- How to properly dispose of a propane tank
Keep reading for barbecue recipes, party-planning ideas, tips, education, and more!
Labor Day is really just one great excuse to host a barbecue: after all, why not invite some friends over to enjoy some delicious eats and the final days of Summer? For those who plan on entertaining in the near future, I've come up with a spectacular meal that's filled with the fabulous flavors of the season. Here's a quintessential grillout perfect for this weekend.