Read on for this easy upcycle project.
What You'll Need:
- Old sweaters
- Scrap paper
- Stick pins
- Craft needle
- Craft thread
- Pick a few sweaters to use for the project. Using pastel or light-colored cotton blends work great for this DIY, but wool or cashmere would work wonderfully too.
- Cut a heart from a piece of scrap paper by folding in half and then cutting a half-heart from the fold, creating a finished heart around four to five inches in width. Position the paper heart on the sweater near an edge, and secure using a few stick pins. Use sharp scissors to cut the heart from the sweater.
- Select a color of craft thread to use for sewing together the heart. Cut around a three-foot-length piece, thread the craft needle, and begin at the corner of the heart, tying a knot to hold the string in place.
- Begin sewing a straight stitch about one quarter-inch from the edge, moving the needle in and out of the sweater sides. Continue sewing until there's a two-inch hole left, perfect for using to stuff the satchel.
- Carefully stuff the heart with around a tablespoon or two of the potpourri, and then stitch the heart closed. Use a short length of thread to add a loop to the satchel to use for hanging, or leave as is and toss in a drawer for scenting your clothes.
- Continue cutting, sewing, and stuffing sweater hearts until you've got a cute collection.