Everyone needs a day off just to recuperate and refresh themselves. Take a break from work and all the real world responsibilities that come with being an adult by giving yourself permission to take a mental health day. Here are some suggestions for activities to do on your personal day:
- Take a nap: Taking naps can do wonders for your health and you'll notice the effects on your day off. It'll increase your alertness, improve your memory, and improve your performance and mood. To top it all off, you'll feel extremely relaxed and in the perfect mindset for your day off.
- Get a massage: Massages are also very beneficial for your mental health. Studies have shown that it has positive effects on the mood and can soothe anxiety.
- Acupuncture: Making an appointment with your acupuncturist is a good way of taking care of your mind. Perhaps your qi channels are blocked or unbalanced, which can greatly affect your stress levels.
- Read a novel: Reading an escapist book, be it young adult, fantasy, romance, and more, can take you into a different world and give you the opportunity to leave everything behind you for just a few hours. Don't feel guilty.
Read on for more.
- Shop or browse: If you enjoy shopping for clothes or the home, take a trip to the stores on your day off. But don't let this be an excuse to go on a spending spree when you can't afford it. You don't necessarily have to buy anything or even spend that much.
- Walk in nature: Just looking at greenery can ease your mind. Go to a park in your neighborhood or take a short trip to more rural areas.
- Hang out with your best friends: There's a reason why people say laughter is the best medicine. Having a laugh with your closest pals can really lift your mood. Humans are very social creatures, which is why getting together with the people we love always makes us feel good.
- Play with furry friends: It's a known fact that spending time with pets can improve your mental health. They are natural mood enhancers and can immediately decrease your stress levels.
- Work up a sweat: I'm sure you know the numerous health benefits from working out a sweat. Whether it's working out at a gym or playing a sport, pick a physical activity that you enjoy doing, and you'll feel so much better.
- Cook a meal: If you find cooking therapeutic, experiment with a new recipe or re-create your favorite childhood dish. When you're done cooking, share the finished results with other people so you can watch them enjoy your labor of love.
- Watch a movie or TV: Catch up on your favorite TV shows or watch a movie you've been meaning to catch but just haven't had the time to. A mental health day is the perfect time for vegging out.
- Meditate: Meditation can really quiet the mind from all the noise that brings you down. Banish those stressed out thoughts and self-doubt by filling your mind with peaceful silence. Bonus: meditate in a park to get the extra benefits of green surroundings.