Instead of reaching for bleach the next time you see a bit of mold lurking in your kitchen or bathroom, make this easy and budget-friendly clove oil mold killer. Known for its antiseptic properties, clove oil inhibits mold by attacking and killing the mold spores. Safe for use in small or large spaces, this easy recipe works wonderfully at keeping pesky mold away while naturally scenting and cleaning your home.
What You'll Need
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 1 cup olive oil
- Cotton string
- Small glass jar
- Aluminum foil
- Metal or glass bowl
- Spray bottle
- To make your own clove oil that's safe for use in your home, pick up whole cloves at your local grocery store. Using a basic olive oil creates a mold killer that's also easy on the budget.
- Place the whole cloves in a spice grinder and pulse until smooth or pop in a zip-top plastic bag and pound with a rolling pin, which is also a great stress reliever. Fold a one-foot square of cheesecloth in half, and then in half again, and place the ground cloves in the center. Then secure by tying with a length of cotton string. Grinding whole cloves ensures they are fresh for making this awesome mold attacker.
- Measure and add the olive oil to the glass jar and submerge the cloves. Cover the jar with a bit of aluminum foil to help it steep while in the double boiler.
- To make a double boiler, fill a small saucepan halfway with water and then place a metal or glass bowl over the top. Place the jar in the bowl and let sit over the simmering water for at least an hour.
- Let cool before using. Add one teaspoon of the clove oil to a small spray bottle with 2 ounces of water. Reserve the remaining oil for later by sealing with a lid and storing in a cool cupboard. And leaving the cloves in the oil increases its strength for attacking pesky mold another day.
- To use, simply shake the bottle then spray over molded areas, allow to sit for 20 minutes, and then wipe away with a clean cloth. Use alongside a homemade grout and tile cleaner  to help whiten any discolored areas.