- Set multiple alarms. It's hard to be satisfied when you're tired and groggy, so do yourself a favor by going to bed at a decent hour. More importantly, though, be sure to set several alarms so that your day gets off to a prompt, panic-free start.
- Eat a healthy breakfast. If you're hungry, it's not a good day. Period. Easy solution? Allow yourself enough time each morning to sit down and enjoy a filling, nutritious meal. Pack healthy snacks to make sure you have plenty of energy throughout the day.
- Look good, be comfortable. If you dress well and feel positive about your appearance, you're more likely to channel your best self. Your attitude will shift, if only slightly: "The rain is terrible, but at least my sweater is cute."
- Have a plan. Avoid any hectic moments or anxious breakdowns by giving yourself a daily schedule. If you're able to prep the night before, you'll feel much more relaxed as you tackle your daily responsibilities.
- Chat with loved ones. Engaging with the people you care about, be it in person or over the phone, can do wonders for your attitude. Even a five-minute conversation with your pal will be enough to lighten your spirit and leave you energized.
Read on for more ways to improve your days.
- Get moving. Kick-start the feel-good endorphins with a bit of exercise. It's best to get going early in the day so that you can ride the postworkout high a bit longer. You don't have to run a full marathon to reap the benefits, either; a quick walk around the block is sure to perk up your mood.
- Do something you enjoy. Love reading, writing, or painting? What about blogging or skimming different websites? Whatever it is that you find fulfilling, make time for it. Pencil it into your planner as if it's an appointment you can't miss, then follow through and consider it your time to "recharge" in between other tasks.
- Put out good energy. Give out compliments, gifts, pleases, and thank yous. Smile at strangers. Offer to do the dishes without any hint of resentment. It's a cliché, but it's true: what you put out in the world is what you'll get back, so do your best to create positive vibes around you.
- Focus on balance. Don't make your day all about work or all about your social life. Your mind-set will be much more cheerful if you can establish symmetry in your life. Knock out your to-do list before meeting with friends, and try your best to build a work-life balance.
- End on a good note. Sip your favorite tea, read a chapter from your favorite novel, or brainstorm a list of what you're grateful for at the end of each day. If you're able to relax and wind down rather than hurry to fall asleep, you're more likely to look back on the day with a sense of peace.
The bottom line: If all else fails, fake it until you make it. Waking up and deciding to have a good day can put you 10 steps ahead. Look for opportunities to create and encourage your own happiness, then do the same for others to help spread the joy.