Some people are motivated to move for weather-related reasons, others just need a change, and increasingly more people are enticed at the possibility of employment. Money Magazine took away some of the burden to narrow things down by coming up with the six best cities (with populations of at least 200,000) for finding work along with each city's major industries.
- Boulder, CO: High tech, biotech, education
- Madison, WI: Government, education, biotech
- Washington DC: Government, defense, nonprofit
- Salt Lake City, UT: Education, tourism, transportation
- Lafayette, LA: Oil and gas
- Huntsville, AL: Defense, aerospace, telecom
Interestingly, none of the cities on this list line up with the places named on Forbes' list for the best places for businesses and careers, and only Salt Lake City meshes with BusinessWeek's list of the most affordable cities for renters.