One-quart, wide-mouth canning jar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground allspice
Large tag for instructions
Gingerbread cookies are a great holiday gift, but give busy friends with no time to bake this cookie-in-a-jar mix so they can make their own and impress their pals.
To make the mix, max 2 cups of the flour with baking soda and baking powder. Then mix the remaining 1 1/2 cups flour with the spices.
In the one-quart, wide-mouth canning jar, layer the ingredients.
Start with the flour baking powder mixture, and then add the brown sugar and finally the flour and spice mixture. You can use the bottom of a small, clean juice glass to press each layer firmly in place.
Write the following instructions on the tag and attach to the jar with ribbon:
1. Empty contents of jar into a large mixing bowl. Blend together well.
2. Add 1/2 cup softened butter or margarine, ¾ cup molasses and 1 slightly beaten egg. Mix until completely blended. Dough will be very stiff so you may need to use your hands. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C).
4. Roll dough to 1/4 inch thick on a lightly floured surface. Cut into shapes with a cookie cutter. Place cookies on a lightly greased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
5. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 10 to 12 minutes. Decorate as desired.
(Recipe from All Homemade Cookies)